Re: End of the Sand Train?

bevans@omni.com.au (Brian Evans) wrote:

>>With Jeff wanting to sell off V/Line Freight, it seems odd that
>>VicTrack is closing lines, ripping out loops, sidings and generally
>>removing infrastructure so that even if a contractor wanted to use
>>rail, there will be limited or no facilities to enable pick up or
>>delivery of goods.
>
>What lines have been ripped up of late?

I didn't say lines, but the Northeast line has been "thinned" out
(correct me if I'm wrong, but if you can no longer cross trains at a
major town like Wangaratta, how can you ship/collect freight from
there?, how does the present/future contractor tout for business in
Wang?), the Bairnsdale line is useless beyond Sale (limiting the line
to T class and 65km/h does limit the haulage capacity and efficiency
of the line - imagine driving from Bairnsdale to Sale along a bumpy
road at 65 km/h), the Nyora line has just gone a/c no maintenance,
Geelong - Fyansford has gone....

>>If you discount V/Line Grain, there aren't too many goods trains left
>>in Victoria.
>
>True, who would want to really operate intrastate services in Vic? There is no
>infrastructure left!

Exactly the point I'm making.  The value of "our" asset is being
diminished, and the incumbent and/or incoming contractor is being
disadvantaged and discriminated against.   Again correct me if I'm
wrong, but wasn't the Ararat - Melbourne passenger train service one
of the last to go, account the bus operator wouldn't/couldn't operate
safely until the Western Highway was suitably upgraded.

If you truly want competition, don't tie rail's hands behind their
backs (lord, what a mixed metaphor, rail is a bit hard to bend
<g!>)... give them a chance to compete.  Just about every driver I
speak to is frustrated because they are not being allowed to give the
trucks a run for their money, and their enthusiasm for rail is
whittled down by the frustration of a thousand cuts.

Given that the regular sand train driver said that the rail and
sleepers are basically in good condition and the problem is in the
fastening and roadbed, it means that there is simply no maintenance.
Hypothetically, of course, how could a prospective rail operator
competitively tender for say, Leongatha to Melbourne.  Would VicTrack
make the track 100km/h rated in such an event?  VicRoads upgraded the
South Gippsland Highway when buses took over, so surely equal
opportunity should apply, shouldn't it? maybe? surely???

Yeah, right.  In your dreams.

Three sand trains a week, say 300 tonnes a train, say 900 tonnes a
week.

How many B-doubles is that?  How much will need to be spent on
upgrading the roads that start to fall apart when these things have
been running a year or so?  You can't blame AGL for looking for the
most efficient (for them) transport solution, but IMHO the loss of
railhead to railhead bulk/unit train operation to trucks is nothing
short of obscene.

Or switching into PARANOIA MODE: given Jeff's petulance and desire for
vengeance over anyone who annoys him, is this revenge on the voters of
West Gippsland for throwing out the Libs at the last by-election?
END PARANOIA MODE HERE <g!>

Regards

Yuri