Re: End of the Sand Train?

(snip)
> 23 December VicTrack had announced speed reductions from Clyde - Sand
> sidings from 30km/h to 15km/h (same time as Melton Weir bridge was cut
> back to 30km/h).

(more snippage)

> I suppose as long as the line isn't closed, K190 isn't trapped in
> Gippsland, but 35km of 15km/h running would seem to make a day trip
> to/from Korumburra a looooooong day.
>
> Regards
>
> Yuri
Why is there so many track limits around and why does it take so long to
fix them? To give an example, around the middle of last year, there was
a speed limit on the Hurstbridge line between Dennis and Clifton Hill.
This existed for several months, presumably to do with the upgrading of
the bridge over Merri Creek (although it took them a long time!)
	Not long after this speed limit was placed a limit of 20 (?? -
certainly no more than 30 and maybe as low as 15 - I cannot remember)
was placed between Rosanna and Heidelberg which also wasnt fixed for
quite a while and unlike Merri Creek bridge there was no apparent work
done there for most of the time (although I must admit I usually
travelled this section during the peak when it is unlikely work will be
done although I expected to see a tractor or something left there
overnight). This had the net effect of holding trains up by around 3
minutes or so a trip between the two works. This I imagine would remove
most or all of the catch up time allowed.
	Compare this to well funded roads authorities who prefer to maintain
the limit around roadworks unless absolutely necessary or for major
projects where they have no choice. Even when work needs to be done, it
is usually measured in days or weeks in worst case scenarios - not
months. It is also extremely rare for a roadwork speed limit to apply
for great long stretches of raod - it is usually just the section of
road involved. Compare this to the above example of Dennis-Clifton Hill
when probably Westgarth- Clifton Hill would have done.
	On a related issue is the yellow advisory tram speed limit signs
popping up along tram lines. In many cases, trams can only travel along
major roads with speed limits of 60 for cars at an advised limit of
30kph!! Even on segregated track such as from East Preston-Boldrewood
Parade to Bundoora, the limit is 45kph to Latrobe Uni or thereabouts and
60kph from there to the end!! Is the track in such poor condition that
this is necessary? If so, somebody ought to be taken out and shot at
dawn. As for the segregated track where the road limits on these
sections are 70 (northbound - 80 southbound to the Target) and 80 north
of Latrobe Uni - this track was laid around 10-15 years ago. Surely it
hasn't deteriorated to such poor condition yet. Or is this another state
government plot to sell our trams to bus companies, claim the track is
too expensive to fix and replace them with bus routes run by Jeff's
mates in the bus industry? I normally ignore such paranoia but I
sometimes wonder...