Re: Pronunciation of Station Names

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 17:26:25 +1100, you wrote:

>Geoff Lambert wrote:

>> People might like to try their hand at pronouncing Welsh station names
>> such as Llandudno.  When I was there, the P.A. on the platform made it
>> sound like someone trying to sing with a mouthfull of salada biscuits,
>> but a Welsh friend says it sounds something like
>>
>> SsssshhhllnnnGrrrrhhhhhdno
>>

>Your Welsh friend is pulling your leg Geoff or else who only lives there
>but isn't ;-)

No, she SAID it and I transliterated it in my own incompetent way .
She is from North Wales.

The guide to pronouncing Lllanfair's name came from the town's own
home page, at http://www.nwi.wales.com/llanfair/say.htm.  They include
a .wav file, so you can actually hear it said, while comparing with
the written guide.

Geoff Lambert