Re: Pronunciation of Station Names

Geoff Lambert wrote:

> People might like to try their hand at pronouncing Welsh station names
> such as Llandudno.  When I was there, the P.A. on the platform made it
> sound like someone trying to sing with a mouthfull of salada biscuits,
> but a Welsh friend says it sounds something like
>
> SsssshhhllnnnGrrrrhhhhhdno

Your Welsh friend is pulling your leg Geoff or else who only lives there
but isn't ;-)

"ll" in welsh is best pronounced in English as "thl". Well that's the
easiest phoentic description for those who don't speask the Language of
Heaven, which BTW is one of the world's oldest, far older than any other
European language. Ignore what it said below in your message re Scottish
Clan although the later part is like lan in clan.

Lanadudno thus becomes - Thlan (a as in at) deed ("d" as indog. "ee"
produnced in back of throat to sound like "i" as in "it" South Wales.
North Wales even further back in throat.) no (n as in "not" and "o" as in
"more"
  Thlan did no

Cheers

Garry.

PS

Please stay away from Welsh names unless you know it. It takes too much to
translate into heathenese for those unfortunates who have to learn the
language when they depart this life (asuming they're upward bound that
is!).