Re: Mt Gambier

boyce@rebel.net.au wrote in message
<34bfbcef.14783722@news.camtech.com.au>...
>Listen up ,
>

>>>Adelaide to Mount Gambier was doomed years ago, way
>>>back when Webb's magnificent 600 class Pacific's were
>>>still running.  (What a pity one of them did not
>>>survive, just to show the young "experts" from NSW and
>>>Vic what a real Pacific Loco was.) ;-)
>And what a wonderful Loco it was to.
>
>..  snip ..
>>>
>>>Me thinks the State with real problems would have
>>>hardly been in a position to keep lines open that AN
>>>closed.  ;-(
>>>
>>>----Tell
>>>Alice Springs NT
>>>

>>Yes that is not surprising - my map shows that there is a road from
Adelaide
>>to Mt G but not a railway line. There *is* a line from Adelaide to
Melbourne
>>and a (fromerly) connecting line from Wolsley to Mt G but none direct. AN
>>certainly could not compete for passengers and probably not for general
>>freight.
>
>>However, why would you want to send much to and from a redundant
>>city like Adelaide.
>
>> Melbourne is much more useful as it is still one of the
>>2 commercial hubs of Australia. What about the Heywood to Mt G line. I
would
>>have thought this would have some potential.
>>
>>Incidentally, Scotts are not just road transport operators these days,
they
>>do use rail in some circumstances and they have a stake in the Port of
>>Portland.
>>

>>Barry Campbell
>
>To Barry Campbell , please explain your statement  above ..
>
>Quote mode on
>"
>>However, why would you want to send much to and from a redundant
>>city like Adelaide.
>"
>Quote mode off
>
>We (SA / Adelaideans at least) would like you to explain this remark.
>DB

Adelaide is nice place - I have even thought of applying for jobs there -
but it is just not important in the sceme of things like Sydney and
Melbourne. Like it or not the other state capitals are becoming of only
local importance and where they belong to a state which is economically
rather quiet, then the capital of that state will suffer the same fate. It's
a bit like bush towns (And I hasten to add I live in one) nice to live in
but unless they have a strong local reason to survive they too are
redundant. The city fathers of many towns take umbrage to remarks that their
town is not the most important/vibrant/wealthy/socially conscious in the
country but one should face the facts. As a closing remark it has been my
experience that the most economically advantaged cities in Australia pay for
this by the fact that they have become increasingly unpleasant to live in.
My experience is especially with Sydney where I lived some 30 years ago. I
wouldn't live there now. Brisbane suffers from the same problem but on a
smaller scale. I wouldn't worry about being redundant - in my experience
this is a lifestyle plus. If you could only fix up the weather in Adelaide
it would be great. (Sorry, my prejudice - to me Brisbane is cold)

Barry Campbell