Re: Sydney intercity trains

Ashley Wright <ajwright@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article

>   Also the reason I assumed the mountain trains were traversing
> Enfield was because I assumed all lines between Mcdonaldtown and
> Strathfield were closed (Guess thats what happens when you live in
> relative isolation on the Illawarra's). Which raises a question, why
> did the Newcastle trains not run to Central via Strathfield and then
> to North Sydney as well. I can understand why the Hornsby to central
> via Epping were running short to Strathfield only. Having only one
> pair of lines open would have been a bit much for the lines, but I
> cannot see what effect Newcastle trains could have had on a weekend.

I believe, although I cant say for certain, that there was no access to the
Up and Down Suburban platforms (4,5,& 6) at Strathfield for electric
rolling stock. The only trains to use these platforms were CountryLink
services - Hornsby via main services commenced from Strathfield Platform 1.
This would preclude the operation of Newcastle trains via Strathfield.

--
Regards

David Proctor
daproc@bigfoot.com