Re: Sydney intercity trains

Ashley Wright wrote:

>   The fact there were passengers on the set going to the mountains as
> it want through Town Hall was the reason I thought that maybe the
> Newcastle trains were working through to the mountains. As it seemed
> strange considering they weren't stopping at Town Hall

It is possible that a suburban train was cancelled, so they transposed the intercity
to pick up at North Sydney instead of running empty, but I don't know for sure, who
really does on the railways?

> Which raises a question, why
> did the Newcastle trains not run to Central via Strathfield and then
> to North Sydney as well. I can understand why the Hornsby to central
> via Epping were running short to Strathfield only. Having only one
> pair of lines open would have been a bit much for the lines, but I
> cannot see what effect Newcastle trains could have had on a weekend.

Simply because the mains and suburbans were closed, and there is no way for a train
on the local at Strathfield to get to Hornsby.

> PS the sight of all the trains at Eveleigh was interesting, but I
> cannot ever remember seening that many stored in the sidings at Sydney
> terminal.

There were only four 8 car sets.

> Also as it appeared that only the enterance lines to Sydney
> Terminal were being rewired why were the sets not left in Sydney
> Terminal. Surly there would have been enough sets elswhere available
> if in fact the Eveleigh sets were needed for use. Just a thought.

 The power was turned off in the whole of Sydney Yard.  That is why only
Countrylink's (diesel) trains were going in there.  The electric sets stabled at
Eveleigh may have been required prior to the completion of the work.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard