Re: Sydney intercity trains

Ashley Wright wrote:

>   South coast trains were running into the eastern suburbs railway,
> although I am not too sure if they were running to Martin place, or if
> there is some form of turnback between central and town hall.

stopping at Central, Town Hall and Martin Place.

>   The Blue mtns and Newcastle trains were interesting. Train from
> Newcastle were comming in down the North Shore across the bridge and
> into Central electric. Trains from the west were comming into Central
> electric also, presumably through Sydenham and Enfield goods yard (can
> somone confirm/deny).

No, along the Local lines with all the other suburbans..

> But the interesting thing is it seemed that the
> mountain trains were turing into Newcastle trains at central and vice
> versa. Im not 100% sure, but that is what it looked like.

No.  The western line Trains were going to North Sydney to reverse, and the
Northern line trains were going to Eveleigh yard to reverse.

>   Also while waiting at Town Hall about 3pm two V sets passed through
> platform 2 on their way to central. I personaly would have thought
> they would have stopped for passenger convenience, but they keeped on
> going.

Problem with that is that all the people on the platform at Town Hall would want
to get on to go to Central, which is not very convenient for all the long
distance passengers from Newcastle.

> Both sets passed within about 2-3 minutes of each other, with
> passengers on board. Anyone know why 2 were running so close
> together???

Are you absolutely sure they both had passengers on board?  The first one was
due through at 14:53 from Wyong travelling to Eveleigh.  The second one should
have been empty from North Sydney, travelling to Katoomba, due through at 14:58

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard