Re: Pronunciation of Station Names

"Chris Brownbill" <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote:

>A few more obtuse ones I thought of:
>Wauchope            WAR-hope
[snip]
>Chris Brownbill.

If you ever travel the Stuart Highway North of Alice
Springs and stop at a little roadhouse near the Devil's
Marbles called WAUCHOPE,  please do not call it
WAR-hope, or some comments on your parentage and or
your possible origins from NSW may be heard.
In the Northern Territory it is called;
WAR-cup

Still, we are funny old merino's aren't we.!
We have clarks instead of clerks, but it is clerical
work not clarical work .......right.

Berkshire == Barkshire,  I say what an impressive
looking loco that old SAR 720B BARKSHIRE was. ;-)

Derby == Darby, Heh Heh, don't ever go to Derby in WA
and call it Darby, you will probably get a punch in the
nose.

Oh for the influence from the "Mother" country.

----Tell
Alice Springs NT