Re: Pronunciation of Station Names

dbromage@metz.une.edu.au (David Bromage) wrote:

>That reminds me. Wallan is Woll-an (rhymes with Wal, as in Walter), not
>Whall-an (rhymes with shall) or Worl-an (rhymes with wall).

But, then there's Ballan, only a little distance away (well, 50 km),
which is pronounced ball-AN, with the ball as in shall.

Nearly every railfan I ever met pronounced the name of the long-gone
(1955) Rowsley station near Bacchus Marsh, with the "row" as in "how",
not as in "rose-lee", as any local could have told them.  They found
this so unbelievable that they persisted with their own version
anyway- the locals COULDN'T be right!

Geoff Lambert