Re: Clyde Model A

On Wed, 07 Jan 1998 07:08:56 GMT, chester@chariot.net.au (Chester)
wrote:

>I have just resently obtaind a copy of a Clyde Operating Manual of a
>1800 H.P. Model A diesel electric locomotive.  Is there any one out
>there that know what class it is and what railway was the owner.
>Other use full information the manual is No. 205, publised in August
>1963 and is the Third Edition, it was powered by a EMD 16-567C engine,
>a D-12 or D-22 main generator, a D-14 alternator, a hostler rear end
>cab and had Dynamic Brakes.

Yes David it is a second series Vline "S" Class numbers 310-317
the earlier ones had a HP rating of 1750 HP Numbers 300-309
the extra 50 HP gained by externally ducting the roots blowers hence
the magnificent howl they used to emit !!
Class numbers 314 & 316 were wiped off in the Southern Aurora
collision.310 has recently i'm told been returned to active service
but unfortunately has had the blower ducting removed by the cab
commitee in an abortive attempt to lower the cab noise level this was
a abject failure if any thing it moved the noise back into the engine
room and made them louder in the cab.
West coast rail use two S classes on their warrnambool passenger
services 300 & 302 as i understand 302 had a engine out of a ex AN GM
class complete with the GM class exhaust stacks "realy barks"
Now if only we could get the blower ducting fitted to that one.!!
                   regards Paul Johnston NRC EX Vline.