Re: Vicrail rail closures

I think that I can help you with information on the city loop.  In 1991,
for a school project, I did a study on the architectural patterns on
Melbourne Railway stations and I found that the loop was opened in 1981
although only the Burnly and Caulfield group lines were operating and only
Museum (Melbourne Central) station was opened.  Parliament station was
opened in 1983 and Flagstaff was opened in 1985, the same year that the
Northern group was commissioned.  One closure I think that you might be
interested in was East Camberwell to Deepdene in I think 1965 as one of the
last three remaining parts of the Outer Circle railway from Fairfield to
Oakleigh.  Recently the section from Fairfield to the APM paper mills,
where one of the old stations was, was closed last year.   The oonly
section still operating out of this railway is the Alamein line.  Just off
the subject, Vicroads is redecking the Chandler highway bridge this month
which was the original bridge which carried the railway over the yarra.