Re: Broad gauge or standard gauge

"Barry" <one@microsoft.com> wrote:
>Has anyone got any ideas as to the future of the non commuter BG in SA. I
>read that as part of the agreement between the Commonwealth and  G & W was
>the conversion of the BG wheat lines in the east but what about the other BG
>lines. Who would want to keep a separate system with a different gauge? As
>many are seasonal lines they could be converted easily but did G&W allow for
>that in the price?
>If they are not converted I can see them being closed eventually.
>If they were converted how would this leave the SA govt owned suburban lines
>(I can't remember what the authority that runs them is called - SASTA? STA
>of SA?) Does anyone know what lines are shared by suburban trains and
>freight trains?
>Barry Campbell

Can not imagine ANY South Oz government converting the
Suburban Irish Gauge to Standard, no point, as it would
do nothing for patronage.
TransAdelaide are very much bus orientated, the rail
operations in the suburbs including the Glenelg tram
line would be closed now if they had their way.

Rail in the suburbs is very important to State
political parties just before elections, unlike the
national network where there is no votes and the
absolute majority of voters and politicians could not
care less.

Remember Australian National.? ......Hardly a squeak.

----Tell
Alice Springs NT