Re: Broad gauge or standard gauge

"Barry" <one@microsoft.com> writes:
> Has anyone got any ideas as to the future of the non commuter BG in SA.
wonder when the pro-bus Transadelaide will rip it up anyway!

I read that as part of the agreement between the Commonwealth and  G & W was
> the conversion of the BG wheat lines in the east but what about the other BG
> lines. Who would want to keep a separate system with a different gauge?
 As many are seasonal lines they could be converted easily but did G&W allow for
> that in the price?
>

> If they are not converted I can see them being closed eventually.

GW obviously thought they could make money, and undoubtley EP will cough up a
bit into the system.

> If they were converted how would this leave the SA govt owned suburban lines
> (I can't remember what the authority that runs them is called - SASTA? STA
> of SA?)
No - its the Highly Original Transadelaide, 10 years after TransPerth!
Does anyone know what lines are shared by suburban trains and
> freight trains?
> The only sections of line "Shared" by freight and passenger is some of the BG
Gawler Central Line  down to dry creek (trains to Barossa and to Burra/the other
place whos name escapes me) and part of the Outer harbor line which is Also dual
gauge.
> Barry Campbell

Nic Doncaster
(a person who isn't realy interested in anything over 1435mm gauge so if I am
not  100% right, whoopy shit!)