Melbourne Airport Link

I heard in the news today that the Victorian State Government is about to
decide on a route for the Tullamarine Airport (Melbourne) rail link. Why all
of a sudden? Is it Melbourne/Sydney rivalry (ie the new Sydney Airport rail
link) or they just realised that we don't have one.
They said in the news that the most likely route for the Airport link was a
spur line off the Broadmeadows line. Wouldn't it be cheaper to build a light
rail extension to the no. 59 (Airport West) tram or would that take to long
out through Moonee Ponds and Essendon?