Re: Simple Question.....

The way it was explained to me a long time ago was -
The top light indicates the track section ahead green = clear yellow =
turnout & red = stop (occupied).
The lower light indicate what you can expect to find on the next signal
green = a proceed indication, yellow = a caution indication & red = a stop
indication.

A driver in the country area would find green over green ( track clear,
next signal proceed) then green over red ( track clear, next signal at
stop) then red over red (stop).

In the metro areas after the green over green the driver may find a green
over yellow (track clear, next signal at caution); this is to give more
braking distance when signals are closer together.

"When upper yellow functions look out for turnout junctions, when the
yellow's down below watch your speed - medium slow."

--
Cheers Krel

The Law of Inverse Proportions - The chances of the signal clearing
without having to get out of the cab and go to a lineside phone is inversly
proportional to the amount of rain falling at the time :-)
David Proctor <daproc@bigfoot.com> wrote in article
<01bd1690$aefa8fc0$0a4a23cb@locxvcym>...

> tezza <tezza@atinet.com.au> wrote in article
> <68dr4h$cc3$1@loomi.telstra.net>...
> >
> > David Proctor wrote in message <01bd15bb$406b8da0$0e4a23cb@locxvcym>...
> > >Simple really - although complicated if you do not know (I presume you
> are
> > >talking about NSW safeworking here)
> > >
> > >The top light is the authority to enter the next section - Red = stop,
> > >Yellow = turnout, Green = go
> >
> > *Yellow does not always mean turnout, it may mean that there is a
signal
> at
> > stop within breaking distance.
>
> Not on the top light of a two aspect signal - yellow ALWAYS means the
train
> is taking the turnout.
>

> > >The bottom light gives an indication of the signals in advance.
> > >Thus, 2 Reds indicates stop, this will be preceded by a Green over
Red,