Re: Trip from Newcastle to Sydney

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:32:48 +1100, "Garry Hoddinett"
<hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote:

>I just completed a trip by Interurban from Newcastle to Berowra and have a
>few questions that some people may be able to answer:
>
>- Do trains still service the famous (from Garratt Days!) Newstan Colliery
>at Fassifern?
YES.

>- Did the current road bridge east of the railway at Dora Creek used to be
>the railway bridge?
YES.

>-Did the old bridge remnants west of the current railway bridge over Cockle
>Creek used to be the main line or some colliery branch?
NO (& yes) - It was the main line, until the main line was deviated
over the new bridge.   Then it remained to service Rhonnda Colliery
and Stockton Borehole Colliery.

>- When was the last time the branch heading to the east from Awaba (to Wangi
>Power Station?) was used?
Can't give an exact date.   It remained in use for a period after
steam ceased in 1973.   Since then, a bridge and embankment at the
Toronto Road were demolished, preventing rail access to the Power
Station.   Can any one advise when the last tain ran on the branch?

>- Is the branch line running to the east just north of Wyee still used and
>if so what  for?
NO.  As I understand it (and I stand to be corrected by those more
learned scribes), the loop was never officially commissioned, and has
only seen a couple of trial trips.

Hunslet.