Re: Trip from Newcastle to Sydney

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:32:48 +1100, "Garry Hoddinett"
<hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote:

>I just completed a trip by Interurban from Newcastle to Berowra and have a
>few questions that some people may be able to answer:
>
>- Do trains still service the famous (from Garratt Days!) Newstan Colliery
>at Fassifern?
Coal trains have been running to Newstan for three or four years using
the north fork of the triangle connection with the main line. The
south fork is disconnected. Coal comes from Newstan, Awaba and other
mines in the area.

>- Is the branch line running to the east just north of Wyee still used and
>if so what  for?

Has not been used for about 10 years. It is a balloon loop with
receival hopper for coal that was brought from Mt Thorley. The balloon
loop may, in the future, be used for loading export coal.