Re: Railmotors

On 15 Dec 1998 08:07:58 GMT, ROY HOWARTH <rhowarth@tig.com.au> wrote:

>There were four 500-class trailers that ran with the CPH's up until
>Waterfall electrification in July 1980:
>
>FT.501, 505, 506 and 551. The last car was the matching trailer for CHP38
>(Creamy Kate) and so was slightly different from the other three, which
>used to run with 400-class railmotors. Their main conversion for
>Sutherland duties included removal of the side skirts and corridor
>connectors.
>
>As per prev note, they almost always did run as three-car "sets". I don't
>recall ever seeing CTH/CTC trailers on the Waterfall run - these more
>than likely saw use on the Abattiors/Richmond runs.

CTH/CTC trailers normally were not allocated to Sutherland.   When we
did get a CTH, it was always marshalled in the middle, between two
CPHs.   On the other hand, on the Blacktown-Richmond branch, the CTH
would be marshalled outside the CPHs. - ie, CPH CPH CTH.

Towards the end, Sutherland scheduled four car motors (CPH CPH FT
CPH).

At least on one occasion which I photographed, Sutherland provided a
five car rail motor for daylight working on the East Hills branch
during a power outage, before the powers-that-be found out abut road
motors.   On that particular occasion, there were insufficient rail
motors left to operate the Sutherland-Waterfall service, which instead
was run with a 48 clas and three cars.   Photographed to prove it!

Hunslet.