Re: Sydney tram wheel profile

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:38:51 +0800, "David & Jan Winter"
<winterd@icenet.com.au> wrote:

>Technical check, here.
>
>Sydney's trams - I understood they had flat profile wheels, like Melbourne,
>etc. Hence the speed
>restrictions when transferred over the rail network.

I always understood that it was because the flange thickness was less,
causing problems at points.   Certainly, the timetables issued for the
movement of trams over the railway system required a speed restriction
(5mph?) over points.

When the Sydney Tramway Museum operated its scrubber car on the
Cronulla branch a few years back, the SPER chappies carried a piece of
anxle itron to lay over the points to reduce the flange clearances.

Hunslet.