Re: What!!! Running crosses???!!!!???

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 23:08:48 +1100, "Rod" <berlina@mt.bigpond.com>
wrote:

>Krel wrote in message <BIG SNIP>
>
>>A long, heavy train approaching a red signal while another equally
>>long and heavy train is heading towards you with headlights on is a
>>recipe for someone to slip up someday.
>

>So you are the one not dipping his bloody headlights!!!!!

Wrong. I always dim my headlights although NR lights can be quite
bright on dim and Big Brother is watching (headlight operation is
recorded on NR computors). standard NSW practice used to be to turn
the headlight OFF when you see an opposing train. The Vics have taught
me to leave it on :-).

>No really though.....Lets stop all the trains about to cross at the arrival
>home, untill both crews notify train Controll they have come to a
>stand........second thoughts lets make the Auto previous to the Arrival Home
>remain at Stop and get the crews to call T.C. before passing
>it.........Better still, lets stop both Trains at the preceeding loops and
>let them approach the Crossing loop one at a time.......

A little overboard, methinks.

>Come on , Mate, We are all supposed to be Competent. At least I am, and have
>been running the North-East SG for 25 years and never seen a problem. I will
>admit that I used to be able to trust the Vicrail
>Training Scheme and now I have to worry about the quality of Drivers running
>with other operators, such as
>NR, Freight Rail, Great Northern and Austrack.

With relativly short trains it is nice to be able to make a running
cross but as train get as long as the loop or longer danger present
themselves. I quite like running crosses but, in order to improve
safety for everyone out there (we are ALL enginemen) I would give them
up.
I'm not doubting the Vicrail training scheme - most of the other
operators drivers went through it, too. Normally if a driver messes up
a stop the train will slip slightly past a signal and can be backed up
with no damage just a lot of embarrasing questions. When there is
another train just on the other side of the signal it becomes more
dangerous. Catch points could help turn a collision into a derailment
- lessening the damage. I am not accusing anyone of being anything
less than competant but NO One In ANY JOB is 100% perfect 100% of the
time. With longer trains running longer distances and DOO is comes
down to one set of eyes (& a brain) making a pinpoint stop every time.
the law of averages says that sooner or later some one will muck it
up.

 >I do wonder about some of
>these drivers who appear to pass the Auto on Yellow at about 30 kph and run
>at that speed for the next 8 or 10 km!! Regulations allow for us to be fully
>conversant with the track and that means knowing exactly where the home
>Arrival is and where the train running at normal speed needs to be slowed to
>enter the loop at low speed. T. C. ofton weep at the
>speeds some drivers maintain on the gauge.

I wonder about driver who race into a loop on a Low Speed signal at 40
km/h. I also wonder about some very liberal interpretations of Rule 1
section 3 when passing an auto at stop. I don't believe that it
matters one iota which company you drive for - ther are dickheads in
every crowd.

Cheers

Krel