Re: What!!! Running crosses???!!!!???

Was that: What!!!!! Running Crosses????!!!???

If so, "not today, Josephine" - but a key to maximising single line
performance. I read of the concept many years back but have no idea if it is
used in practice anywhere. Under CTC, you'd need about 3 or more blocks in a
loop so that all signals could operate under normal safeworking criteria and
if 2 trains approached concurrently, nothing out of the ordinary would be
necessary. Today, that would require loops of about 6km - cheaper than
duplication for traffic a little heavy for a single. To work optimally,
speed signalling technology overlaid on the basic safeworking (recommending
speeds LESS than the maximum permitted under safeworking) could be used to
help synchronise crosses.

Can't see it happening under train order systems. Anybody got some thoughts

DW