Re: #1 South Albury

>BIG SNIP
>>>
>>The driver should have been at least cautioned and at most suspended
>>for not knowing the rules that he was operating under.
>>No wonder we used to shake our heads and wonder about Mexican rules.
>>After I joined NRC and moved to Melbourne I was amazed at how
>>different two railways could be. It was a miracle that anything ever
>>got through Albury in either direction. as they say - ignorance is
>>bliss.
>>

>You know Krell I think I might just withdraw my Christmas greetings to you!
>
>Wodonga Enginemen had a hell of a time working in Albury.

Oh dear, Oh dear. this is exactly what I was trying to explain.
Ignorance really is bliss. It was not the fault of the enginemen that
they were ignorant - they just were not taught the other states rules.
Both states enginemen had very little knowledge of the other rules and
practices and, as a result, tried to apply thier states rules to the
situation. Albury Enginemen had a hell of a time working in Wodonga,
too.

>The ignorance was
>most certainly all on the NSW side, but a different kind better described as
>downright rude and very dangerous.

This applied to both sides - Ever try to get a VR engineman to assist
coupling the lead loco to an arriving train? True they had just run
317km but we were about to run 320km and then do it all again in
reverse. I remember VR trains departing the Reception yard (5, 6 & 7)
and roaring through the loco depot area at up to 40 km/h. Yes, both
sides were, at times, rude and dangerous.

>We used to call it the Willingale Mentality after a half witted Union
>Secretary{?} ex fireman who caused we
>Mexicans untold grief and ensured that Albury staff would give us the
>hardest time possible.

ISTR that Vic union officials were not adverse to giving NSW blokes a
hard time.

>Caution Orders were to be used in Albury Yard and South box Signalmen
>recieved Victorian safeworking
>training.

Caution Orders were only required when entering or leaving the LLTC
single lines. Everywhere else in the yard was verbal and flag (rule
95?).

>The 3 Pos Signalling between the Murray and almost to Station Box was a
>modified system using a lunar white marker light to Designate [for
>Victorians anyway that it was a three position area.]

NSW Single Light Colour Light signals originally had a lunar light to
indicate its location if the main light failed. this was changed to a
red marker light which only illuminated if the main signal was on the
red or the out. the signals at Albury Station (north of the platform)
reflect this.

> I admit that this was
>for us and enabled us to operate in Albury Yard without NSW accreditation.
>You ran in this yard under your own rules.
>Krell you may be completely right from an NSW enginemans viewpoint, but your
>just erercizing your enlarged EGO and your lack of good comraderie when yiou
>stand up and spew all these rebuffs at your fellows on this group[ we all
>suffer a little iof this when someone gets under our skin]
>Why dont you be a little more mature and talk to us not down at us.

That is what I was trying to do. I never claimed NSW was all right and
Vic was all wrong. What I am trying to say is both systems had VERY
different rules for similar situations  and everyone ran on what they
were taught. In general everyone thinks that "thier" state has it
right and all the others were wrong. As I said It was a miracle that
anything ever got through Albury in either direction. NSW made a
bigger deal than their interstate fellows about brakes, lube oil and
fuel, etc. Conversly Vic made a big deal about headlights, handlamps
and water jerrys, etc. Neither were "right", both were different.

>ps. Albury [north end] is still 2 pos with only the mains converted to 3pos
>[VicRail Lingo]

Albury (north end) is Single Light Colour Light. Some yard signals are
still lower quadrant semaphores (including one revolving disc
signal!).

Thanks for reading this far and Merry Christmas to everyone (including
Rod).

Cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.