Re: Tumut Line

Bob wrote:

> I believe that you have all misunderstood the offer by RAC to reopen the 33 lines mentioned in its
> recent propaganda . My understanding is that these lines could be reopened at a price. A sliding
> scale of prices was set which depended on the time the line has been closed. The Tumut line fell into
> the 10 year + group and they were asking $1Million per kilometer to reopen this line. Where would any
> private operator find this sort of money?

And why would a private operator spend this sort of loot on a railway
line - subject to open access as well as then be totally controlled by
the Goverbment owned RAC - when they can go and buy trucks and have the
Government  subsidise their operation?

Now if the railway line was to be sold lock stock and barrel to the said
private operator then something might actually happen, or am I asking
too much?

Ciao
tim
--