Re: Sydney Public Transport Directory.

In article <367c7e8b.0@139.134.5.33>,
  "M.G.Smith" <gard@bigpond.com> wrote:
> What fascinates me is that in the book, it says that by the year 2002, we
> will have "one ticket" for all buses, trains and ferries (and tram).
> I thought this was supposed to happen at the beginning of the last financial
> year, when all modes of transport would of come under the one banner of
> "Public Transport Authority" = "PTA".
> May be the greedy private bus companies had other ideas?
> Regards Michael.

I don't know if there were every serious plans about placing all the modes of
transport under the one 'PTA' banner, but the integrated ticketing plan was
postponed due to the complexity and logistics of the project. IMHO the
decision to delay was a sensible one, as there are many traps and pitfalls in
designing a system that would be able to adequately serve Sydney's rather
fragmented transport network, and if such a project were rushed in order to
meet a deadline (e.g. Olympics) we could well be lumbered with a rotton
system for decades.

Rob

Sydney (Australia)