Re: Sydney Public Transport Directory.

>I don't know if there were every serious plans about placing all the modes
of
>transport under the one 'PTA' banner, but the integrated ticketing plan was
>postponed due to the complexity and logistics of the project. IMHO the
>decision to delay was a sensible one, as there are many traps and pitfalls
in
>designing a system that would be able to adequately serve Sydney's rather
>fragmented transport network, and if such a project were rushed in order to
>meet a deadline (e.g. Olympics) we could well be lumbered with a rotton
>system for decades.

Sorry?
Melbourne has had a perfectly good multi-modal ticketing system since 1983
(trials started before this in the Moorabbin neighbourhood). I would have
thought our system was no more complicated than Sydney's. Of course, in all
fairness, very few governments could take a perfectly good system and turn
it into a 'rotton' one for at least 3 decades - good one Jeff & Co. You can
tell government ministers in this state don't have to use Metcard - now if
only I could get a chauffeur driven car at taxpayers expense... As I think
Yes Minister pointed out, if politicians were forced to use public
transport, we would extremely quickly have a National Transport Plan that
worked.