Re: Rail Noise

>Perhaps the answer is the type of locomotive.   Once upon a time
>we had 4-stroke Alcos and EE which had an entirely different engine
>sound to the 2 stroke GMs.

>The old GMs were certainly flat out.

>Flange oilers would help the rail squeal and I would think that
>newer locos are quieter than the old GMs.

>Any comments?
>--
>Neil Waller     (nwaller@denr.sa.gov.au)
>Department of Environment Heritage and Aboriginal Affairs
>Telephone:      Oz: (08) 8204 9218; International: (618) 8204 9218
>Mail:           GPO Box 1047, ADELAIDE 5001     Australia

>Unless explicitly attributed, the opinions expressed are personal
>and not those of DEHAA or the South Australian Government.

Here in NSW even the newer GM locos like the 90s & 82s are very noisy,
although its not quite the same sort of noise as the older GMs .
The 90s have had to have fitted large baffle plates at the end to reduce the
noise.
The newer GM locos  seem to exhibit a lot of turbo and alternetor  whine as
well as engine noise.
.It seems a lot easier to quiten the 4 stroke locos like the NRs.
Even the old 44s & 930s were much quiter than the 81s,82s etc.
Flange greasers would help a bit , but most of the squeal will be the wheels
slipping on the curves .
The concrete sleepers dont help either.

MD