Rail Noise

Noise has been the subject of complaints from a number of lineside
residents in the Adelaide Hills.   This, they claim, has increased
since standardisation.

I was at Blackwood at about 2130 watching the eastbound Patricks
service hauled by a GM, 830, CLF, GM, CLP and a GM.   Quite simply
the noise from the locomotives was deafening and the wheel-squeal
almost painful (and the entire train of 49 wagons squealed).

I don't blame the locals for complaining but why since
standardisation?

Perhaps the answer is the type of locomotive.   Once upon a time
we had 4-stroke Alcos and EE which had an entirely different engine
sound to the 2 stroke GMs.

The old GMs were certainly flat out.

Flange oilers would help the rail squeal and I would think that
newer locos are quieter than the old GMs.

Any comments?
--
Neil Waller	(nwaller@denr.sa.gov.au)
Department of Environment Heritage and Aboriginal Affairs

Unless explicitly attributed, the opinions expressed are personal
and not those of DEHAA or the South Australian Government.