Re: Tangara A/C Failures

Jonathan Lau wrote:

> I've had the "pleasure" of traveling in two Tangara carriages which have
> had failed Air Conditioning units in the last several weeks. The
> Carriage numbers were D6177 & D6116. The temperature on Saturday was in
> the 30C's but inside it must of been at least 40C!

I don't think that anyone makes an a/c unit that is capable of being wizzed
around a railway system over the indifferent track anymore. There are
probably some very good systems out there but they will not stand up to
railway useage. Victoria's N sets are a prime example.

I will stand corrected but I cannot remember any failures of the Stone's
equipment that was fitted to many a/c cars in the late 1940's and early
1950's. It seemed to last. The SAR Bluebirds, the VR S and Z cars, the joint
stock Overland, even the power van operated HUB & RUB sets in NSW.

DEL.