Verkehrverbund & FAQ Re: Metro Re: buses or trams

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, David & Jan Winter wrote:

> I understood the reference to the ticketing system (Verkehrverbund) to be to
> a zonal fare system with time limits across all modes (many cities have

  I've seen the term "Verkehrverbund" (more or less "traffic union") used
  in several urban areas in Germany. For me it essentially meant that there
  was a single fare system (whether zonal or not I regard as irrelevant)
  for a given area, and a coordination of routes and timetables, even if
  there were different agencies running different services (municipal
  transport authority, state railways, and perhaps also private companies).

  A similar concept, without a specific names AIFAIK, and on a wider scale
  was (is it still ?) used in Holland, where one could buy strip tickets in
  a post office, and use them on all buses etc. throughout the country.

  We are still waiting to see something like that here in Milan (there is
  a thing called SITAM "Sistema Tariffario Integrato Area Milanese", i.e.
  "Milan Area Integrated Tariff System", but is far from satisfactory ...
  there is no route or timetable coordination, it covers essentially the
  ATM urban and interurban service, and only some "concession" private
  interurban lines, and only some limited access to state and private
  railways ... with some tickets you can, with other you can't ... another
  time I'll tell you the story of "Passante" if you are interested).

> exposition - hope David McL has captured it to the FAQ.

  I've already seen another reference for this FAQ, but it has never
  appeared on the NG I read (mtu-t), where can I find it ?

nospam@ifctr.mi.cnr.it is a newsreading account used by more persons to