Re: Open closed V/line branches?

Krel wrote in message <366dcb9e.4973114@news.netconnect.com.au>...
>On Wed, 09 Dec 1998 00:02:24 GMT, thalytgv@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
>>To reopen closed branches are more or less relates to the operator's
>>willingness of expands its business and serve its customs regardless of if
>>the line is dismantle or not. From where I came from New Zealand, Tranz
Rail
>>(owner of Tasrail) already reopened some closed branches and relayed
>>dismantle branches, if not for Asian crisis, it would be work on the long
>>dismantle line from Picton to Nelson (about 50 km) and Taupo line (80 km)
by
>>now.
>
>Picton to Nelson? Wasn't this thw "Notional Railway"; IE NO tracks
>only through rates for freight. Nelson was always on an isolated
>section, wasn't it?

Correct.  The "notional railway" was in operation until transport
regulations were eased.  I think it was used as a means of subsidising the
freight - ie not only were the rates lower than otherwise would be the case
for the consignor, but the freight carrier from Picton to Nelson was paid
the difference in revenue by the govt.

There was an isolated section from Nelson to Glenhope.

I don't think TranzRail will build new track or reopen any closed lines
unless the traffic (ie potential profit) warrants it.  Conversely, some
lines could be in danger of closing.  There's a sigh of relief that the
Gisborne-Napier line is still to be kept open.

TranzRail does react more quickly than the old NZR, and may be less affected
by politics.  It's a good sign that the company does want to be in the
business of rail transport and is prepared to undertake new initiatives.