Re: Vic Tangaras

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Chris Brown wrote:

> John Engleman wrote in message
> <28808-366F5849-70@newsd-121.bryant.webtv.net>...
> >they need some maintenance, and a refurbishment program wouldn't hurt,
>
> Many hitachi sets have recently been refurbished.
>
> You can rebuilt and refurbish old trains as much as you like, but when you
> get down to the bare facts, they are still old trains, and eventually need
> to be replaced.  What Melbourne's public transport needs to attract more
> first-time customers is a lift from its outdated image.  What better way to
> do this than to have sleek, modern trains running alongside freeways and
> accross busy level crossings?  Maybe a few car travellers might actually be
> persuaded to try out public transport.  If there are appropriate service
> improvements at the same time, they might actually continue to catch the
> train and, you never know, the new trains might actually start paying for
> themselves.
>
>  - Chris Brown

Hitachi refurbishments are a good thing, but the refurbishments do not go
far enought.  They need:
1.  Carpet on the floors instead of that pink shit.
2.  Replace the opening windows with fixed pane windows, but only if
3.  The airconditioning system is upgraded (in a major way)
Hitachi's are a damn good train, as some else said, "they were made to
last".  They are far more reliable on hot days of 43 degress like today.

But yer, I agree a good image would be that of new trains speeding past
cars stuck in traffic.
One MAJOR factor for keeping passengers is having stand-by trains ready
for a failure.  My mum constantly whinges at me, "my train was cancelled
tonight and the next one was full...."  With the Jolimont Rationalisation
Program, all standby trains are now located at Burnley, Camberwell and
Melb Yard. - That is too far away!  We need sidings in Jolimont Yard for
storage of standby and defective trains.

Gareth