Re: Vic Tangaras

John Engleman wrote in message
<28808-366F5849-70@newsd-121.bryant.webtv.net>...
>Sure, let's spend a lot of unnecessary money to replace Melbourne's
>electric trains with new ones.  Why?   Just because they are "old"?
>Trains and trams are not designed to wear out and be replaced every few
>years just because the are perceived of by some as "old".  Sure, they
>need some maintenance, and a refurbishment program wouldn't hurt, but

Many hitachi sets have recently been refurbished.

>get new ones, I think not.  I can't think of too many instances
>recently, worldwide, when new equipment was really  much better than
>what it replaced.

You can rebuilt and refurbish old trains as much as you like, but when you
get down to the bare facts, they are still old trains, and eventually need
to be replaced.  What Melbourne's public transport needs to attract more
first-time customers is a lift from its outdated image.  What better way to
do this than to have sleek, modern trains running alongside freeways and
accross busy level crossings?  Maybe a few car travellers might actually be
persuaded to try out public transport.  If there are appropriate service
improvements at the same time, they might actually continue to catch the
train and, you never know, the new trains might actually start paying for
themselves.

By the way, if you don't believe me that hitachis are and inferior train to
ride in, why not catch one from the city to Pakenham and back at about 1pm
this afternoon (11/12/98)

 - Chris Brown
Rowville, Victoria

sbrown@dragon.net.au