Re: Steepest train/tram line

Roderick Smith wrote:

> I think that James has too fond a regard for the percentage system.

No particular preference on my part, that's what calculators are for.

> All typical grades have to be expressed in a scale of just 3 units:
> 0% to 3%, causing the need to drop into meaningless decimals to
> distinguish differences.

I suppose you always leave the meaningless change behind when you
purchase something?

> Europe does not use percentage; it uses parts per mille, to
> alleviate this problem.

Strictly an issue of decimal placement.  Never considered that a
problem.

My original question was why Australia seemed to have stuck with a
quaint gradient measurement system when other measures on the railways
were converted to SI. Other countries seemed to have more or less
settled on the percent system of measurement. (OK, mille as well, if you
must)

I got curious about this and pulled out a copy of the ROA Manual of
Recommended Practice, and found gradients referred to in percentages,
with the "one in" value referenced parenthetically.  The answer,
therefore, is that the description of gradients by percentages is the
preferred method in Australia.  Simple.