Re: Steepest train/tram line

David Bennetts <davibenn@pcug.org.au> wrote:

>As for trams, I think you can get about 1 in 8.  The tramways of
>Lisbon, Portugal have very steep grades, I rode a line there a few
>years back, once again a great experience.  Of course, their trams
>are fitted with track brakes which screw down onto the rails.

As far as I know, the steepest section of the Lisboa tram system is
situated in Calçada de São Francisco with an incline of 14.5%, i. e.
approx. 1 in 6.9. This is said to be the steepest incline of an
adhesion tram in the world (rack trams, of course, can be steeper).

Best regards from Wien (Vienna), Austria, Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Auer --------------------------------- ohne AUTO doppelt MOBIL
http://qspr03.tuwien.ac.at/~wauer/ --- mailto:wauer@qspr03.tuwien.ac.at