Re: Steepest train/tram line

Bruce Greening <bgreeni@ibm.net> wrote:

>I understand the worlds steepest is at Linz in Austria. (Thats the home
>of Plasser). I rode on it a couple of years ago, but don't remember the
>grade off hand, and all my information is still in Townsville.

Well, I doubt that the quaint so-called Pöstlingbergbahn near Linz
(a metre-gauge tram route separated from the rest of the incredible
modern and progressive tram system, which operates on 900mm gauge)
shows the steepest incline worldwide, if you count the maximum --
please see my other posting in this thread.

However, I am _quite_ sure that this tram route is the steepest in
regard to the average incline: For the most of the stretch, it shows
an incline beyond the 10% threshold (that's an easy one to convert
into the British measure of 1:10 ;-). To be more exact, the
standard(!) incline is 10.5%, i. e. approx. 1 in 9.5. So the term
"steepest adhesion railway" surely applies anyway, even though
it isn't exactly the complete truth ;-)

I should like to recommand a visit of both the Linz tramway and
trolleybus system as well as the Pöstlingbergbahn, which still
operates with open-door trams (what about Melbourne W-class security
regulations?) to everyone who travels into this part of the world.

For those interested, I shall put a few pictures into the web, but
please be patient -- the scanner doesn't work currently :-(
But you are welcome to email me anyway.

By the way, the tiny Austrian tram "system" in Gmunden shows similar,
though not so drastical, figures as well -- it also applies for
"the world's smallest tramway system" attribute.

Best regards from Wien (Vienna), Austria, Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Auer --------------------------------- ohne AUTO doppelt MOBIL
http://qspr03.tuwien.ac.at/~wauer/ --- mailto:wauer@qspr03.tuwien.ac.at