Re: Steepest train/tram line

David Bennetts wrote:

> The line at Roaring Camp ... is about 1 in 12 (of course the
> yanks use a % grade, just to be different.

Interesting that you should bring this up, as Australia seems to be in
the minority with this one.  I believe most of the rest of the world
uses percent to describe gradients, which is eminently more intuitive
than the "1 in" system.  There are a few countries that seem to have
clinged to the British method, mostly those whose railroads began under
British influence.  (Though wasn't everybody's?) With the conversion to
Metric, I would have thought that the description of gradients would
have changed as well.  Seems to be an anomaly.  Any comments?