Re: Privatisation and steam

In article <366c4624.3837499@news.enternet.com.au>,
steam4me@enternet.com.au wrote:

> An anti-steam/anti-excursion freight operator could make it
> difficult/impossible for the wealth of steam tours the currently
> operate to continue.  I believe NR's corporate attitude is the main
> reason no SG steam has ventured through Victoria.

Sorry to sound mysterious, but moves have been undertaken and agreements
almost complete that will ensure continued steam crewing arrangements and
continuing steam crew training.  It will result in a small increase in
crew costs, but will ensure that there will be crews to run special
trains.  I'll let you know more when I can.

> The specific issues are the use of steam locomotives themselves, the
> use of wooden carriages and the maintenance of or access to
> infrastructure requirements (turntables etc).

As an accredited operator, Steamrail is responsible for its operation, as
are other commercial and heritage operators.  The fact we use steam is not
an issue, the greater issue is reliability and the ability to clear a
section in the event of failures to meet regulatory requirements set down
by Victrack.

> Are there any measures contemplated to protect the excursion market
> from say exorbitant track access charges,
Ministry has intervened for heritage operators.
 unrealistic speed limits (ie
> just a 10km/h reduction of wooden bodied stock from 80 to 70 km/h and
> the reduction in number of crossing loops already in Victoria could
> make it difficult/impractical to operate the variety of steam tours we
> currently enjoy).

As above, our accreditation makes us responsible for setting of standards
and speed limits, you may yet see our speeds rise, not fall.  As for
crossing loops, turntables etc, it is a problem, unfortunately we do not
have enough commercial clout for retention of facilities that we may only
use once a year or less, ie Numurkah turntable.   On a good note, the
'new' turntable at Newport, ex Jolimont is in and will hopefully be
completed and commissioned by early next year.

> Are the various bodies involved in steam preservation/operation
> included in the consultations leading up to privatisation:  will there
> be mechanisms for protection through the Office of the
> Regulator-General?  Has anyone even canvassed any of these issues?

Yes, no and maybe, I'm not being mysterious, it's just hard to get a
straight answer from the ministry as to what is happening.  For example,
all the workers at Newport workshops have been informed that the workshops
will be sold off in 2 years, who may buy the site is a mystery, whether it
remains a workshops is a mystery, the ministrys attitude towards the
preservation groups on site is a mystery.

Life in the 90's for steam preservation groups is getting tougher, more
regulated, more restricted as our equipment gets older and more expensive
to maintain.  Wish them all luck.

--
Stuart Thyer
Photographer-Department of Anatomy