Re: Reopen V/line branches

Yuri J Sos (steam4me@enternet.com.au) wrote:
> thalytgv@my-dejanews.com wrote, and I selectively quote:

> > I guess its time for V/line's turn to reopen its branches.
> But VLF is doomed to privatisation and the state government lacks a
> real long term commitment to rail:  freeways make more votes.

> >Lines like Yarram (Leongatha)
> No track beyond Leongatha.... track and bridges need work Cranbourne -
> Lang Lang.  Apparently a potential private V/Line operator has already
> looked at Leongatha line and feels there might be a train or two per
> week possible.  Hmmmm...who pays who for track access here?

Actually all three bidders have looked into reviving both the sand trains
and general freight (mostly superphosphate in and export dairy products
out) to Leongatha. The most optimistic prediction was 2 super and two
container trains per week. Murray Goulburn is exporting export powdered
milk production, but this has to be dispatched quickly, i.e. as soon as
the container is full.

One contractor wanted a superphosphate siding about 4km beyond Leongatha.
The Up Home is still there, so there's no problem doing this if the track
was relaid, although the down end plunger has been removed.

Track access would go to SGR on the elased section.

> >Healesville
> Yarra Glen bridges a money sink - AFAIK, $1.3 million disappeared into
> those bridges and they're still not useable.

There is an agricultural college to be established at Coldstream, so
electrification to there may be viable. There is a fair bit of urban
development out that way.

Cheers
David