Re: Reopen V/line branches

thalytgv@my-dejanews.com wrote, and I selectively quote:

> I guess its time for V/line's turn to reopen its branches.
But VLF is doomed to privatisation and the state government lacks a
real long term commitment to rail:  freeways make more votes.

>Lines like Yarram (Leongatha)
No track beyond Leongatha.... track and bridges need work Cranbourne -
Lang Lang.  Apparently a potential private V/Line operator has already
looked at Leongatha line and feels there might be a train or two per
week possible.  Hmmmm...who pays who for track access here?

>Daylesford,
>Orbost (Lake Entrance)
Track, roadbed, bridges gone.  One large (wooden) trestle preserved
near Nowa Nowa along which even pedestrians aren't allowed.

>Mansfield and Eildon have both freight and tourist potential.
No track, no roadbed, most trestles unserviceable/gone, spans in
bridges at Murchison gone, re-alignment of road b/w Tallarook and Yea
has destroyed a fair bit of original track alignment.  Bridge at
Bonnie Doon intact.

>Healesville
Yarra Glen bridges a money sink - AFAIK, $1.3 million disappeared into
those bridges and they're still not useable.

>Whittlesea
Logical eventual extension of Mill Park tram/light rail or Epping
line.  Seems as though most of the original rail reserve is still
unbuilt.  Craig? your neck of the woods?

>Mornington
Railway land at Mornington sold off/redeveloped.

>Warburton
loss of alignment in parts due to road improvements, loss of all
track, roadbed, the big bridge at Lilydale, the span at Warburton.

>Except if rerun Warburton trains operators might need to tell cyclist
AFAIK, the line from Leongatha to Foster and beyond, parts of the
Orbost line are rail trails as well as the Warburton line.

Regards

Yuri
--
Yuri J Sos

Reply to: steam4me@enternet.com.au

Web site at http://people.enternet.com.au/~steam4me
Visit Steam Media Productions' site at http://people.connect.net.au/~steam
"1997 - The Victorian Year in Steam" now available: the best yet!