Re: Steepest train/tram line

Jeff B. Kurland wrote:

> I'm a little confused.  Does the xx of  1 in xx represent the horizontal
> distance or the distance traveled (length of rail used).  In other
> words, if we imagined a certain steep hill as a 3:4:5 right triangle, 4
> being the horizontal distance, 3 being the vertical distance, and 5
> being the distance traveled, would it be called 1 in 1.66  (3 vertical
> in (5 distance/3 vertical)) or 1 in 1.33 (3 vertical in (4 horizontal/3
> vertical)) ?

It's based on horizontal distance.  In your example, it would be 1 in
1.33, or 75% for those prone to using that other system.  It's done this
way as it is consistent with how the routes were surveyed.  Surveys are
mostly done using a horizontal plane as reference.  In most railroad
applications the difference is trivial.