Re: Murray Bridge to Mt Lofty Regrade

In article <366A9C84.C0AB4D44@ozemail.com.au> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 02:02:28 +1100
>From: David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Murray Bridge to Mt Lofty Regrade

>arthur marsh wrote:

>> Having finally stood trackside at Blackwood station with no intervening
>> platforms or car windows to lessen the sound, I can assure you that the
>> squealing from goods trains is terrible. The S-bends might have something
>> to do with it - aren't curve greasers used as much these days?

>Yes, however there are two primary causes of squealing wheels.

>1) Flanging
>2) Wheel Creep

>Most squealing is caused by Wheel Creep, as one wheel is not turning at track
>speed, and cannot be illiminated without lubricating the rail head.  Tests are
>currently underway in the Beecroft area to test rail head lubricators.

Surely its not possible to start lubricating the rail head where the curve is
on a rising grade,as in the Adelaide Hills , without reducing the adhesion
between the wheels and the rails.
Any reductions in adhesion simply translates into less load that can be
hauled,which is the last thing that a freight railway needs.

cheers
MD