Re: Murray Bridge to Mt Lofty Regrade

arthur marsh wrote:

> Having finally stood trackside at Blackwood station with no intervening
> platforms or car windows to lessen the sound, I can assure you that the
> squealing from goods trains is terrible. The S-bends might have something
> to do with it - aren't curve greasers used as much these days?

Yes, however there are two primary causes of squealing wheels.

1) Flanging
2) Wheel Creep

Most squealing is caused by Wheel Creep, as one wheel is not turning at track
speed, and cannot be illiminated without lubricating the rail head.  Tests are
currently underway in the Beecroft area to test rail head lubricators.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard