Re: Leigh Creek

Bob wrote:

> A couple of points here. ASR were not one of the three finalists for this.
> These were Freightcorp, Westrail and Silverton. They have known this for some
> time. Do they have a contract at present? If not they could pull out whenever
> they want. The new contract is due to commence on 31st January 1999 and
> Freightcorp intend to use there own wagons. I suspect that ASR were not making
> any money on  this job and this would be why they are threatening to pull out.
> Freightcorp will be hiring crews ASAP and we can expect a flood of ASR crews
> wanting to sign up with Freightcorp who pay the Award wages unlike ASR.
> Cheers
> Bob

The comments by ASR's GM may have been a diversion but apparently
Flinders Power wanted them to haul in the interim at $3 tonne at which
price ASR claim they could not show a profit.

Even so what do ASR want with another 15 drivers?   And do they really
need to cancel the locmotive upgrade at Port Augusta?

I would have thought they need customers and interstate freight is
one of those.

For this their rather ancient fleet would need overhauling and they
would need more drivers.

--
Neil Waller	(nwaller@denr.sa.gov.au)
Department of Environment Heritage and Aboriginal Affairs

Unless explicitly attributed, the opinions expressed are personal
and not those of DEHAA or the South Australian Government.