Re: buses or trams

>> The platforms occupy pretty much the whole length of Wynyard Park and
>> the track level is quite a distance below the surface, even allowing
>> for the fall of the land towards George St.  If you take a look at
>> some of the pictures that have been published of the excavation for
>> Wynyard  (i.e. Electric Railways of NSW, page 39) you can see how far
>> down the tunnel floor is compared to the surface.
>
>Transport House has 4 levels below York Street (B1, B2, B3, C)
>The lowest level (C) is at the concourse level of the station.  This would put
>the concourse approximately 40 feet below surface.  Platforms 3 & 4 would be
>approximately 15-20 feet above the concouse, putting them approximately 20-25
>feet below the surface.

As a Melbourne resident, I am always quite surprised about Wynyard.
You walk in from George Street down a slight gradient, and then go UP
to catch a train.  It always seem counter-intuitive to me to have to
climb stairs to a platform from an underground station concourse.

JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html