Re: NR class loco names

John Cleverdon <clev@minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU> wrote in article
<60cjdk$e$1@aggedor.rmit.edu.au>...
> Krel <krel4203@netconnect.com.au> wrote:
> : 	1..	Can anyone explain the significance of City of Goulburn and La
Trobe
> : ???
>
> 5. Goulburn: perhaps becuase this is a major railway junction, and has
> a roundhouse ???

Unlikely considering that NR has very little to do with Goulburn. Most
trains just sail straight through. Goulburn not a major railway junction
for NR and the roundhouse is not used by them. There must be a reason
Goulburn got the nod over more appropriate candidates like Grafton, Taree,
Morandoo, Cooks River, Botany, Port Kembla, Parkes (City of Goobang
Junction ;-)) or Albury.

Same name on two locos are as follows:
	City of Bendigo	R 766 & N 463
	City of Melbourne R 707 & XP 2017
	City of Brisbane NR 7 & XP 2002
	City of Port Augusta NR 28 & CLP 8
	City of Albury N 453 & XP 2007
	City of Goulburn XP 2008 & NR 8

Almost same name on two locos include:
	City of Port Pirie ALF 18 & Port Pirie NR 74
	La Trobe NR 61 & C. J. Latrobe S 303 (steam and diesel)( three locos ?!?)
	City of Sydney XP 2000 & XP 2011 (different times)

Can anyone add more???

--
Cheers Krel

The Law of Inverse Proportions - The chances of the signal clearing
without having to get out of the cab and go to a lineside phone is inversly
proportional to the amount of rain falling at the time :-)