Re: Colour of 40 class

Allan Brown wrote:

> It is written that the NSWGR 40 class diesel electrics, when
> delivered,
> were in all-over Verdant Green with yellow trim, whilst everything
> below
> the running board was black. Once and for all, just what colour was
> the
> top of the running board - black or green? I say green.
>
> Allan

>From my collection of Rwys photos it would appear that the top (walking
surfaces) are green, see Rwys photos B51963 and  D51967. While these are
b/w pix the top is the same color as the green parts of the loco, black
shows as black.

Ref Rws photo D54103 Royal train pic, while these are in blue, the tops
of the running board are the same color as the blue bits, and this may
indicate a pattern of colors at this time.

Also in my collection is a hand-colored photo of a trial/first trip of a
coal train departing Newstan Colliery, 7th March 1952, with green 4005
and another 40 class (unidentified,  maybe 4006). The locos are green
down to the bottom of the valance(?) underneath the running board, which
apopears to be the same as 4001 in pic B51963. This seems to be at
variance with the comments above ... "whilst everything below
the running board was black".

Geoff
"Alcos are cool"