Solar Train?

Hi all

I have just been reading about another Solar Car challenge that has been
anounced similar to the Darwin to Adelaide variety. This got me thinking...
has anybody ever thought about or more importantly BUILT a solar powered
train.

The beauty of a solar powered train, unlike a solar car is the extended
length that one can give to the train. Imagine several "cars" whose sole
purpose is the generation of electricity to drive the passenger/motor car at
the front. Some solar vehicles have reached quite respectable speeds on the
road but power generation is limited by the length of the vehicle.

Imagine if one removed the driver and lenthened the car so that it was 10-15
metres long with little more that a light chassis, wheels, brakes and flat,
low to the ground solar panels.The wieght of the solar panels would keep teh
wheels on the track.

The main idea of these cars is to generate power so they are as light as
practically possible with weight devoted primarily to solar panels.

Such a car could provide sufficient power for its own propulsion with some to
spare. With several of these solar generating cars linked considerable power
 could be generated such that the train could propel itself at quite high
speed and with sufficient power to also propel the lead car which would house
the motor and driver.

Now I'm not suggesting that this could have any practical use but it would be
interesting to see a solar train built.

Has it been done before?

cheers Peter