Re: Solar Train?

pberrett@tbsa.com.au (Peter Berrett) wrote:
[snip]
>Now I'm not suggesting that this could have any practical use but it would be
>interesting to see a solar train built.
>Has it been done before?
>cheers Peter

Yes it has, ten years ago when the first Darwin to Adelaide solar
powered race was under way, a Perth design engineer was given
permission to run his kevlar and aluminium bodied solar "rail
vehicle" between Alice Springs and Adelaide.  It apparently had
six alloy wheels.  Never heard whether he made it or not.
If you will pardon the pun, it was overshadowed by the big event.

Two years prior to this, members of the Royal Prince Alfred Yacht
Club in Sydney were seeking permission from AN to "Land Yacht"
across the Nullarbor on the Trans Australian Railway with a five
metre craft fitted with flanged wheels.  Not sure what the
outcome was with this one either.

----Tell
Alice Springs NT