Re: Double Stacking

        In article <01bcc815$9ff60460$0100007f@pentium>, "John Wayman"
<wayman@c031.aone.net.au> wrote:

>Terry Burton <telljb@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
><5vnmh0$c37$1@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net>...
>>
>> Double stack through Broken Hill and a bypass around the Adelaide
>> Hills will almost make our National network viable for the 21st
>> Century, but if the Feds keep pouring funds into the roads and
>> State Governments allow longer and bigger trucks as in South
>> Australia and Victoria then the truck carnage on our roads will
>> continue and Rail will never be able to do the job it was meant
>> to do.

The federal government needs to make a "Quantum Leap" into rail expenditure if
railways as we know it today are to survive.  If this is not possible, the
system should be completely opened up to private operations with the
government maintaining/receiving ownership of the track situation. There is
plenty of private investment available to fund rail, however, who in their
right mind would want to when one has to deal with so much red tape.

Regards,
Brian